Dec 16, 2011

Review of "Hex Code Wallet" a wallet case for iPhone 4 and 4S - modified with added camera hole.

I have previously used the Ikonic Edge pouch for my 3GS. Altough I have been fairly happy with the pouch, it does not offer protection when the phone is in use. With this in mind, I decided to go for a wallet type case for my iPhone 4S. After careful consideration, and some help from the MacRumors forum, I chose the Hex Code Wallet.

I will start with the summary for the impatient readers:
Pros
  • Not too bulky
  • Holds three cards
  • Quality feel
  • No part of the mount interferes with use of the touch screen 
Cons
  • No camera hole
  • Volume and silence button not accesible when case is closed

After a couple of weeks of use, I find it rather good, but there is one major flaw: no camera hole! The phone can be removed from the case easily, but other users have described issues with the corners breaking off after the repeated stress caused by removing the phone. The solution for me was a quick and dirty DIY job, with mixed results. More on that later.

The phone is held in place by a plastic framing that does not touch the glass screen of the phone. This was an important issue for me, as I find many cases can interfere with the use of the touch screen, especially near the edges. 

Not too bulky, even with three cards































I was able to add a hole for the camera by following the instructions in this Youtube video. At first I tried to be precise, and measured diligently. I found however that this was a waste of time, as I found my self removing more and more. The limit was actually set by the edge of the plastic framing. 

The issue with this camera hole, is that the LED light creates "white noise" on the images. This is demonstrated on the picture below. The material is too thick, and the light is reflected on the "wall" of the hole. I did use a black marker to blacken the leather around the hole. 

Also I used a bit of super glue, to prevent the material from splitting. The solution is not perfect, but pictures taken without the use of the LED flash, comes out perfect. I can not understand why Hex would not include a camera hole in their design.
The "wall" around the camera hole is illuminated by the LED flash, 
resulting in white noise in the pictures

The edge of the plastic framing was damaged in the progress of making the camera hole.





Another issue, is with the silence button. The cover must be opened to toggle the silence button on, and off. The same is true for accessing the volume buttons (wich can silence the ringing/vibration on unwanted calls). I would have liked another hole in the spine of the case, to enable access to these buttons.

Silence and volume buttons only accessible when the cover is open.



























Despite the issues described above, I am happy with the Hex Code Wallet. It does not feel bulky, the phone is very easy to operate, and I can carry the required three cards. The leather is fine quality, and the entire product has a quality feel to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment